Travel tips for families with special needs children
As the holidays fast approach, there is often the need to travel to see family and friends. For a family with special needs children, this can be quite a stressful event for the family and the children. However, with some planning, the stress can be greatly reduced and the focus put on enjoying the time with family and friends.
Here are some tips to help with planning your travel needs:
- Think of the child’s daily routine and pack items he / she may need to feel at home while on the road.
- Put up a monthly calendar with the departure date clearly marked. Make it a fun game to count down to the special day. Also, bring the calendar with you and mark off the days of your trip and count down to when you will return home.
- Prepare a picture storybook for the trip. Put photos in of what types of transport you will be taking, where you will be staying, etc. Then go over this so the child becomes familiar with the story of the adventure.
- Lists! Make your lists of the items you will need to take with you for traveling. A little preparation goes a long way and a checklist is ideal to help you. Don’t forget that if any special equipment is needed, to mark this on your checklist.
- Notify the airline and hotel (if applicable) of your child’s special needs. There are often “special assistance coordinators” with airlines and hotels for helping you.
- Make sure your children carry identification on them, with your contact numbers, medical bracelets or tags. Make sure to identify any allergies or special information.
A little preparation for your trip can make it a lot less stressful and a fun adventure for your child. If you would like to know more about how we can help your child with special needs, call us today to find out more!