Holiday ornaments to make with your children
The holidays are a great time of year to do special, seasonal activities with your child. By engaging them in the season’s preparations, you help them feel involved in the events and create lasting memories of holiday fun with the family!
Salt dough ornaments a great, easy and lasting holiday craft that utilizes fine motor skills and produces a handmade ornament for your child to give or keep!
What you’ll need:
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 cup salt
- 1/4 cup water
- Rolling pin
- Cookie sheet
- Miniature cookie cutters
- Acrylic paints
- Glitter glue or glitter paint
What to do:
- Preheat the oven to 250° F.
- Mix together, salt, flour and water until dough is formed.
- Knead the dough on a floured surface until the mixture is elastic and smooth. If dough is too sticky, sprinkle with flour, continue to do so until stickiness is gone. Do not add too much flour, as this will dry out the dough and will cause it to crack before you get a chance to bake it.
- Roll out the dough to about 1/4” thick with a rolling pin that has been dusted with flour.
- Use cookie cutters to cut out as many ornaments as you want.
- Use a toothpick to make a hole toward the top of the shape. Poke the toothpick into the shape, then holding toothpick straight up and down, make a circular motion as if you were stirring something. Keep circling until the hole is the size you want. You can also use a straw or a stir stick to poke the hole.
- Place all shapes onto an ungreased cookie sheet and place into the preheated oven.
- Bake for 2 hours.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.
- Paint the ornaments. When the paint is dry, thread ribbon through hole and tie in a knot in the back.
Hang on your tree or tie onto a package.
Enjoy your one-of-a-kind ornament & Happy Holidays from Pediatric Therapies!
Photo credit: John Paul Urizar via taste.com